Pekerau School was officially opened on the 3rd February 1958 with a roll of 263 pupils. Primer one to Standard 4. At that stage, it had no official name and was known as 'Te Awamutu No. 2 school'.
Mr Cyril Meads was the first headmaster. The school log recorded 6 teachers, 1 clerk and 1 PA.
The caretaker was Mr Lethbridge.
"Pekerau” the official name given to this school on 17-04-58, was supposed to be an abbreviation of Pekepekarau, the early Maori name for the area. The spelling should have been "Pekarau” but was mistakenly written as Pekerau. *Pekapekarau means "a multitude of bats”