Pekerau Primary School - 742 Te Rahu Rd, Te Awamutu 3800 | Phone: 07-871 6025

Mihi ki a koutou katoa,

I am Gavin Clark and I will be your new Principal.

I am honored, and very proud to have been selected by the Pekerau Primary School Board of Trustees to serve and lead the learning for the Pekerau school community. I will work hard to gain your trust and respect as the school’s new Principal. My responsibility as the Principal is to ensure that your child continues to receive a high quality education within a safe, respectful and supportive environment where we prepare our learners for the future.

I am originally from Aberdeen in Scotland, moving from there to work in Qatar in the Middle East before coming to New Zealand 7 and a half years ago. I am happily married and I have two amazing young children who both attend Matangi School, and my wife Cherie, is a teacher there. I am an avid sportsman and I play football in my spare time and I enjoy getting involved in any sporting endeavour that I can.

Providing meaningful contexts for learning for our children where we promote the application of knowledge and are tasked with putting their learning into action are vitally important for our tamariki.  We must always look to promoting a child‐centered approach to learning that is challenging, relevant and above all engaging, where our boys and girls are actively involved and taking responsibility for in their own learning through setting appropriate learning goals.

I have a passion for teaching and learning and I am committed to growing the staff and students at Pekerau Primary School, providing extensive professional development opportunities for all staff. Setting high expectations of pupil achievement in all facets of school life and developing the learners’ skills, attributes and attitudes required to be lifelong learners is central to the success of Pekerau Primary School.  Promoting this in a positive and caring environment will ensure all students will be prepared as effectively as possible, to become confident and connected citizens, who contribute positively to the community they live in.  There will also be a commitment to providing learning opportunities for children to find their passions, talents and interests whether it be in sporting, cultural, service or academic pathways.

Creating strong relationships and having effective communication is an integral part of everyday life, personally and professionally. Focussed effort in a school is important if school-wide teaching and student learning are to improve. This involves communicating clear academic goals, having high expectations, and valuing student and staff well-being. Creating a collaborative approach to new ideas, problems or change processes, whether it is with the Board of Trustees, staff, students or the wider community is highly desirable.  The wider school community plays a significant role in the success of its students and the school through their interactions in a wide range of experiences, whether it is supporting learning experiences in the class, sports teams or outdoor education programmes.

As I make the transition to Pekerau, I am very aware of the anticipation that accompanies a change in leadership. The opportunity to make a positive difference to the lives of the students, staff, caregivers and the wider community excites me greatly. I promise my complete loyalty, enthusiasm, and diligence to Pekerau Primary School and its community.

I am excited at the journey that lies ahead and look forward to meeting and getting to know the students, staff, and wider community when I take up my position as principal.

Naku noa,

Gavin Clark