Pekerau Primary School - 742 Te Rahu Rd, Te Awamutu 3800 | Phone: 07-871 6025

Our values are represented in our school logo. They are an integral part of the daily life of our school and they encompass ‘The Pekerau Way’.
The Pekerau values will guide our attitudes and actions. We have to constantly be aware of these values, to recognise them in others and to internalise these. We must live by the school values and model these as staff to our students each day.

Our Values

Turangawaewae / Belonging

• We are here to serve your school, your community, your staff and your children.

• We belong to the community that we serve.

• Pekerau School belongs to all staff and children and your children belong to us all as the Pekerau staff.

Hiranga / Excellence-   

• In our school logo the boy and girl are reaching for the stars, striving to achieve their dreams and aspirations.

• Excellence is what we strive for.

• Passionate about providing excellent opportunities for our all the boys and girls at Pekerau school.

• Students to find their passions, talents and interests and to be given pathways in all areas of learning whether it be academic, sporting, cultural or service.

• School should provide each individual the chance to find out what makes them tick and to aim for excellence in all that they do.

• We want to help all students and all staff to grow and to help them reach their goals whatever they may be.  

Kotahitanga / Unity-

• For us to achieve the dreams that we aspire to achieve, we must be united and work together to create a vibrant learning environment where we care for each other and share in each other’s successes and help each other to learn from our failures.

• We are united by our pride for Pekerau, united by our uniform and our passion for learning.

• Learning is a social activity and for true learning to occur we have to work together and unite to achieve our common goals.

• This requires teachers and teachers, students and students and students and teachers to work together and so we can grow together.

• United we stand, and we do things the Pekerau Way!

Mana / Pride-

• We are proud to be part of the Pekerau community.

• We are proud of our school and we should be proud of everything we do within the school.

• Pride comes from within and comes from knowing that you have done your best and been true to ourselves.

• We should be proud of who we are, where we come from and what we do.

• We should take pride in our work and learning each day and we should be proud of our achievements and the achievements of our peers and friends.

Ngakau / Integrity

• Ngakau/Integrity means doing the right thing, even when others are not watching.

• Ngakau is being honest, trustworthy and having a moral compass that keeps you pointing in the right direction.

• Integrity is displayed in our actions, in our conversations with others and in the way we deal with situations.

• It means being fair and decent and treating others the way you would like to be treated.

Manaaki / Respect

• Manaaki / Respect has to be earnt through the admiration you have for that person’s qualities.

• We respect each and every person and our goal is to show the respect that I have for others through my actions.

• Respect is mutual and is built on trust.

Wairua / Spirit

• The spirit of Pekerau is powerful and unites us as a community.

• We must keep the spirit strong, embrace it and use it to help us to grow individually and as a school.